This integrated course provides students the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the basics of acoustics and audio engineering, including perception of sound, microphones, amplifiers, loudspeakers, audio processing, etc.
# Audio Engineering
- Sound and sound attributes
- Human perception of sound
- Signal chain in audio engineering
- Microphones and amplifiers
- Analog vs digital signals
- Fourier Analysis, Spectrum, Spectrogram
- Synthesis of sounds
- Audio compression
Participants of this course will learn how to
- Understand the signal chain in a typical audio application, and be able to recognise and avoid distortions in all stages
- Understand how humans perceive sound,
- Record sounds using the appropriate equipment,
- Measure different attributes of sound and understand how they correlate to human perception,
- Analyse and interpret recorded sounds
- Synthesise sounds with specific attributes
- Perform audio processing on recordings
- Understand how audio compression works
The Lecturer will explain some basic concepts. The students will complete tasks in the computer using Matlab.
Script provided by the lecturer.
Attendance is mandatory in this course, only 20% of absence is tolerated. In case you miss more than 20% of the class you lose the first try in the exam.
This lecture will be marked exclusively with participation (40%) during the lectures and the assignments (60%).
The assignments will be performed in groups of two or three people, and will consist on performing certain tasks relevant to the subject at hand. Then you’ll write a short report describing what you did and what results you obtained, which one of the members of your team will then upload in Moodle. If you hand in all the parts of the assignment I asked, you will get full points for that assignment, if things are missing, you will loose points. Each assignment will be marked on a scale from 0 to 10 points.
In order to get a positive mark at the end of the semester, you will need to fulfill the following requirements:
- come to an participate in at least 11 of the 14 scheduled sessions (mandatory attendance), and
- the average mark of all the assignments ≥ 5.
|5||Nicht Genügend||< 50 points|
|4||Genügend||50 to 62 points|
|3||Befriedigend||63 to 74 points|
|2||Gut||75 to 87 points|
|1||Sehr gut||88 to 100 points|
- Basic programming skills
- Matlab knowledge advantageous