Building and Solar Energy
Design of a solar system for a housing complex including technical parameter and the contribution to the local electricity system while considering local heating and mobility needs. Furthermore, the economic and ecologic impacts are calculated.
Please Note: The course is limited to two students and requires physical attendance in Vienna for 5 days in September.
# Building and Solar Energy
- Energy characterization and energy planning of solar building
- Designing a building-integrated photovoltaic installation by software tools
- Measurement and analysis of solar systems in the lab
- Best practice of solar design (Excursion)
- Overview of the market, legislative and drivers for solar energy and buildings
Participants of this course will learn how to
- Design preliminary concepts and design of energy efficient building supported by solar energy
- Simulation of a solar energy system
- Possibilities of building integrated photovoltaics and construction design
- Overview of the market, drivers, stakeholders for integration of affordable renewable energy systems
Project-Based Learning method. Combined with lectures and practical teaching on the remote laboratories. Supported by virtual learning environment and simulation.
|Independent (Group Work)||80|
|Deo Prasad, Mark Snow||Designing with Solar Power: A Source Book for Building Integrated Photovoltaics (BIPV)||Routledge||2005|
|Jarek Kurnitski (Ed.)||Cost Optimal and Nearly Zero-Energy Buildings (nZEB): Definitions, Calculation Principles and Case Studies||Springer||2013|
|Andreas Athienitis (Ed.), William O’Brien (Ed.)||Modeling, Design, and Optimization of Net-Zero Energy Buildings||Ernst & Sohn||2015|
|Simon Roberts, Nicolò Guariento||Building Integrated Photovoltaics: A Handbook||Birkhäuser||2009|
|Project reports (group)||60%|
|Poster presentation (group)||30%|
|Small Assessments and activities (single)||10%|
The presentations can be done virtually or on-site.
|5||Nicht Genügend||< 50 points|
|4||Genügend||50 to 62 points|
|3||Befriedigend||63 to 74 points|
|2||Gut||75 to 87 points|
|1||Sehr gut||88 to 100 points|
Basic knowledge at least in one or two of the following topics:
- Building construction
- Solar energy system
- Energy planning of buildings
- Windows OS for free Photovoltaic Emulation Software
The course starts with a compulsary 5-day attendance block in September (Calendar Week xx) including an excursion to a city development site. Afterwards, the course can be continued virtually.
Please ask your outgoing coordinator (International Office) for funding possibilities or write to email@example.com.
The course participants will be both traditional incoming students and students of the StudyATHome program.
The course is setup according to project-based learning and is done in cooperation with a real city development project from the city of Vienna (MA20), the city of Korneuburg and the Master program Renewable Energy.